Summer 2013 - What are you doing with all this rain?

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Oh yea... that's the one. I have a shot from the other end. Water was much higher.
Fillmore's trails are way too far up from the creekbed for the majority of the hike. A lot of good photo ops missed.
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I fell down the cliff at that frothy tributary falls about half-way up the trail..
Something like that happened to me out near Sharon Springs a few years ago, as I was trying to get a picture of (what I think is called) the Dugway Falls. I think I accidentally ;) hit a button or two on the camera as I tumbled ;) to the bottom, but this is what I got:
Attachments
Shrn Falls 3.JPG
Shrn Falls 3.JPG (91.72 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Matt
President
President

Ha ha.. well, that's a first for this forum.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Do you think all of this rain is going to hurt Fall this year? I still haven't figured out what makes for a vivid Fall.

Glad to hear that your camera is still okay :)
Matt
President
President

Too much rain certainly makes falls less detailed (as you don't get to see much of the rock underneath the water, and often the flow misses some bounces on the way down). I found that the bursts of rain that we have also tends to make some streams very muddy. Brown water does not make for great landscape photos. That even screwed me up this weekend when a very picturesque part i was shooting on lake Erie had a creek pouring muddy water into the beach. Still swimmable, but didn't look so great in the photos.

For waterfall shooting, I like overcast skies and moderate flow. Get the white balance set so the frothy water is pure white and the spot where the water hits the bottom is the brightest spot in the photo. Although I don't object to high flow, lower flow, as long as there is some white to the falls, allows for me to focus in closer to small drops.

Water hasn't been my issue this year... cloud-cover has been. I'm only free to shoot weekends and lately the skies have been clear every weekend. So I'm just shooting lakes instead.