May 2013 Photo Challenge: Lilacs and Festivals

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

pjoakes
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: nikon

I have never photographed lilacs before. I just never found them photogenic. But both Kelly and Mikell have each got a great shot there. And all I have at home is boring white lilacs so I had to try and get a little creative on this one. So here is what I came up with. Got Lilacs?
Got Lilac's?
Got Lilac's?
gotlilacs.jpg (214.06 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That's wonderfully creative!
must have been a pleasantly-scented shoot too.
Matt
President
President

A few from the evening i stopped by Highland Park

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

* Just for fun. Not taken in NY. Taken earlier this month in Ohio - where they are called Li-LACKs. :roll:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Matt
President
President

We have a winner

This was tough. Mikell's shot of a family going in for a self-portrait was charming and fit the topic quite well. I can see that being a 1/3 page feature on the D&C paper come lilac season. It really captures the spirit of the festival.

Philip's milk-inspired studio setup came right out of the blue and demonstrated a creative idea I don't think anyone else could have come up with. Awesome idea, and it will make me think outside the box a little bit when i approach new challenges.

One photo I kept coming back to is simple, Kelly's floating lilacs. Yes, she wins a lot of challenges (this is her 10th). No favoritism here. She constantly tries new approaches to the topic and consistently enters, and it pays off.

Lilacs are chaotic. They don't have natural symmetry in their massive bunches and the bushes and blooms are all over the place. Where is the harmony? Where is the focus?
This photo simplified lilacs from purple/white disarray to an elemental symbol of their delicate order. Good composition. Good focus. Color is spot on. Water? does it symbolize that the lilac festival saw rain 8 of its 10 days?

May 2013: "Lilacs and Festivals"
Image Image
Kelly

[important]We will have no winner for June, since I came up with the idea and Kelly posted the first topic (her involvement means she can't win). No one else got involved.
Let's try to get July moving. The July Bug-off!! is all about finding and capturing as many interesting bugs as we can.[/important]
Mikell
Board Expert
Board Expert

Thanks for the nice comments on my photo...but I agree...you can't beat that photo of Kelly's...it is simply beautiful and original...like so much of Kelly's work. Congratulations Kelly...and thanks for keeping us inspired and challenged. :)
Mikell
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Thanks. Very nice comments and they are much appreciated. And yeah. I can count on just a few fingers, the challenges I didn't participate in over the last 5 years. If it weren't for these challenges, which are really nothing more than exercises that encourage us to see and think beyond our usual repertoire, I'd probably just travel around and photograph beets for the rest of my life.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic