Ruby-throated hummingbirds

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

JPaige
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I still have some straggling females showing up at the feeder and butterfly bush.

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I was just going to post that we're still seeing a few here and there as well! I thought that they were all gone during a lull a few days ago, but we've even seen one so far this morning! This is the latest that I've ever had them around! :up:
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
americanhero
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Canon S95, Canon D10, Nikon D90

my hummers are gone :cry:
Hope they are coming back next year
Yvonne Baur Photography

my photo stream on flickr: Yvonne Baur
rengel134
Rookie

Last edited by Kelly on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Relocated from "Birds" because she insisted on being featured with the other hummingbirds.
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

How times change. Spent only a few dozen minutes on hummingbirds this year.......
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

:up: :up:

I tried photographing these fairy like little birds a couple of weeks ago and was only able to come up with blurs. What is the minimum shutter speed you would say you could use to freeze them? Even at 1/600 in daylight at f 2.8 I wasn't succeeding.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Keep at it! Do you have a feeder? I find one of the best times to snap (and be sure to set your camera to continuous shooting mode - camera keeps shooting as long as you are depressing the shutter button) is when the bird backs off the feeding hole to regroup for another drink. One thing that works is to wait eye to viewfinder - prefocused on the feeder or bloom - ready to depress the button when the bird appears.

That shot was 1/1000 sec at f/5.6. ISO 400. 1/600 really should be adequate to nearly freeze in bright light. Try stopping down to at least f/5.6 to increase your depth of focus. f/8 is even better.
Try using aperture priority mode at f/8, on auto ISO and see what you get. Adjust from there.

Don't be afraid to post your outtakes with exif data. Then we can give more specific advice.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic