Moon the camera

Display your photos or the photos of others here. This is also where you'll find the Monthly Photo Challenge.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

I've had decent success shooting the moon and getting what the moon looks like, details etc.

However, I always have a dark sky. Or, if the sky is lighter, it seems like there are two moons in the image.

I'd really like to get a moon shot with the clouds rolling by it or in front of it. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

i can get the queen of spades and most of the hearts, but I always lose at least one hand with a heart in it
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

the two moon image is from your filter and over exposure,

check out the
Harvest Moon -September 26. 2007 post's

I took a shot of the moon too and the sky is black I posted my settings, also check out the windmill pictures I took tonight, both were taken minutes apart 1 is light with wash out moon the other is darker with nice moon.
Last edited by backpacker on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
outdoorthespian

Depending on your exposure time, the "double" moon may be due to the movement of the earth.

If you shoot any celestial object (other than geosynch satellites I guess) with a shutter speed much more than a few seconds you'll get planetary movement in the shot (yes we rotate that quickly! :)). At 30 seconds it's obvious with a telephoto.

Can you describe the photo you're looking to create a little more? Moon with detail, or just a white disk? Clouds backlit by the moon or brightand puffy like we see them during the day? Clouds showing motion (time-lapse)? or static?

Without any further description, I'm thinking of a low full moon with clouds traversing it. The clouds are lit by a setting sun (so they are front-lighted and comparable in brightness to the moon). I'd go on a haze-free day, so the sky was as dark as possible compared to the clouds.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

It's harvest moon season... see if you can capture a crisp shot of that big yellow orb. It took me about 50 to catch this one of it behind some clouds (this was last week when it was full).

Eddiebauer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 7d Canon Rebel xti

I'm suprised to not see more shots in this post.

I took a few the past couple of days.
Attachments
the 95% moon was at night.
the 95% moon was at night.
Full moon was taken in the morning on 1/20
Full moon was taken in the morning on 1/20
Bill_K
VIP
VIP
Camera Model: Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and Canon Rebel XSi

nice shots...I've been admiring it from inside the last few days. :cold:
To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.
*Giorgio de Chirico*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking_trails/
http://www.redbubble.com/people/billk
Wotto
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: Olympus E-500

My attempt at shooting the moon.
P9056121.JPG