Movies for photographers

Talk about Films, DVDs and Blu-Rays

Moderators: Kelly, Brenda

Movies for photographers

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:01 am

From time to time I seek out movies that relate to photography. They can be films that are made by or about photographers, or stories that demonstrate the impact of photography.

In a previous topic I mentioned a film that I absolutely loved: The Fall, which was a frame by frame photographic masterpiece; a study of composition and color; a lesson in the photographic art. Trailer

Years ago I watched a documentary about National Geographic Photographers. It was enough to make me admire these elite professionals, but their grueling travels and those painfully uncomfortable sessions in the middle of nowhere turned me off to those types of assignments. Some of the scenes in there were quite memorable. I also now have some faces to the names of some of the world's most famous photographs. (I also love the two books I bought after seeing this: National Geographic- The Photographs and Through the Lens- National Geographics Greatest Photograps are phenomenal).

Just yesterday I watched a diferrent movie about photography. Standard Operating Procedure is a through documentary about the atrocities at Abu Ghraib prison. This is the whole story as told by the people who where there. Here, the people are not the characters; the photography is. People felt compelled to document and tell the story through photography. Those responsible felt it was a way to convey they were doing the right thing. Those that knew it was wrong, felt it was a way to tell the story. This is how photography changes the world. And the horrid scenes documented through these point and shoot cameras demonstrate how the details in a photograph can bring out the truth in a situation. I had mixed feelings about this film. For one, I loved the way this documentary was done. It's beautiful. And as an aspiring documentary photographer, it served as a lesson no course could teach.
On the other hand I felt continually embarrassed about our role here and despite all the reasons to justify our actions, I know that we will deeply, regret this more and more as time passes. I can never forget and forgive these actions, but at the same time I feel relieved that they were documented. It's like I've grown up feeling that US was better than this. That we had some respect for POWs and innocents, having a history of POW atrocities ourselves. Then to have that all come crashing down is saddening.

Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Advertisement

Re: Movies for photographers

Postby chris270 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm

What about Memento....
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1:

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 pm

that goes under Movies for the forgetful.
Matt
President
President

Camera Model: Olympus OMD Em-1; E-5
Challenge wins: :star:

Postby chris270 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Matt wrote:that goes under Movies for the forgetful.

Oh, what about a polaroid ad..
chris270
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Camera Model: Mark III 1D and Canon 40D
Challenge wins: :star1: :star1: