Cunningham Falls, MD

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

I spent some time in Maryland this past week and planned a 'detour' to stay overnight at Cunningham Falls State Park. I camped in the Elderberry loop, and with only about 4 other sites occupied so I enjoyed a quiet evening. In the morning I broke camp early and set out for the falls. Two trails lead to the falls - a 3/4 mile cliffside trail marked in yellow and a 1/2 mile marked in red. The yellow trail is described as 'moderate to difficult' and the red as 'easy to moderate'. I walked in on the red trail and consider it within the abilities of most people. The two trails both eventually end up at the base of the falls.

When I arrived two people already at the falls were walking out. I'd heard the falls were rather popular, so I was most fortunate to experience the falls in solitude.
Attachments
CfallsMD.jpg
CfallsMD.jpg (168.77 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

A typical section of the red trail...
Attachments
red trail.jpg
red trail.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8490 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Trying to figure out what's going on with that falls... did it cut a narrow notch in that rock layer or is it going under the rock?
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I haven't been there, but it looks like the water curves and there is a channel through the rocks.