Otter Creek Falls, Vergennes, Vt

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

About a year ago my wife and I were passing through Vermont, and stopped at Otter Creek Falls. I think they might also be known as Vergennes Falls or Lower Falls. When we stopped it wasn't the best time of day to photograph the falls - except perhaps that we were there and that in itself made it the 'best time' because there wouldn't be any other!

For this photo I tried the camera's panoramic feature attempting to capture how wide the falls were. The low concrete building on the left I believe is an active hydro plant. Perhaps you can see the black penstock. The stone building in the center-left was vacant and unoccupied - I can't imagine it was abandoned. The red building someone cleverly turned into apartment or condos, creating a wonderful place to live for some rather lucky folks. On the right-most side of the falls there was a penstock to a second hydro plant, although for the most part it's hidden behind the concrete structures. The long white three-story building on the far right looked like an old manufacturing building. It was, for the most part, boarded up. But on the far side it did have a curious feature of a covered bridge from second story that crossed above Canal Street to another similar building on the opposite side of the street.

All the pictures were taken from a public park on the end of Mechanic Street. The opposite bank appeared to be private property. As it was February I didn't brave the water to get closer shots, although I'm guessing kayak or canoe might help...
Attachments
a100_0057.jpg
a100_0057.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 8483 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A closer shot of the stone building. I found myself wondering what purpose this building served. Likely it served more that one in its life. I wondered if the iron supports projecting from the second floor windows (doors?) used to be a platform or deck. I also wondered how loud the sound of the falling water would be in the building, which might explain why no one has claimed it for a residence.
Attachments
adscn1529.jpg
adscn1529.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

A picture of the falls on the right side that my wife took. Not bad at all except for the ding-a-ling ruining the picture by standing right in the way like he owned the place! :angry: Curious, though, how he seems to remind me of someone although I can't quite figure out who...
Attachments
adscn1530.jpg
adscn1530.jpg (145.86 KiB) Viewed 8482 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That's a pretty cool falls. I would love to live in those apartments!