Need equipment ideas photographing Erawan Falls in Thailand

Talk about waterfalls outside of New York state.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here for quite a long time. I am living in Bangkok, and have wanted to shoot some waterfalls here for a while.

Sorry for the short notice but if anyone sees this before Friday noon Rochester time I'd appreciate some input.

This weekend I plan on going to Erawan Falls in Kanchanaburi, a couple hours outside of Bangkok. I've never been there but I understand you can climb to 7 different levels of falls, each with its own charms. It's the middle of a very strong rainy season so I expect there to be quite a bit of water activity.

I plan on taking my 5D2, 16-35 f2.8 lens, circular polarizer and ND 1.8. I'm not sure whether I'll take other lenses with me. Part of the reason is limited waterproof options here (it's very likely that I will experience some torrential rains while there). I had hoped to find a nice Lowe Pro waterproof backpack, but this week I found that there is nowhere in Bangkok to buy waterproof bags (at least I can't find any). What I did find is a waterproof extreme weather backpack, but it's just thin material with no padding. So i'll have to fit a camera bag inside that bag, and that means using my smaller waist belt bag without room for extra lenses. I may be able to fit one of the side sleeves in with my 70-200 but not sure. I have a Canon 15mm Fisheye which would be fun but it doesn't accept filters so probably not the best idea for waterfalls.

I'm not sure what to take as a tripod. The bag has no way to attach the tripod so I'll likely be holding it. I have two options for tripods, and several options for heads.

Usually I use my Bogen 3012 tripod with my 5D2. It's a pretty sturdy tripod. I'm worried about weight. I also have a pretty crappy Promaster 6300. Not sure it can handle the 5D2. Either way not sure how to carry it. Can anyone make any recommendations?

For tripod heads, I have a few options. On my 3012 I usually use a Manfrotto 410 gear head. I also have a Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head and a Manfrotto 3055 Ball Head. Do I want a ball or gear head, and if the ball should I take the sturdier 3055? Remember, weight!

Any advice very welcome. The hiking/climbing will be wet and probably muddy.

Andy
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Here is a follow up after some test-packing.

I can fit the belt bag and one of its side-lens-holders into the waterproof backpack. So I'll take along the 70-200. I also used an old Canon camera strap attached to 2 points on the 3021 tripos to be able to sling that over my head and shoulder. I'm able to carry the camera in either the waterproof backpack or the belt case and still sling the tripod behind me, so that's great. I'm able to fit the two filters, pec pads, the rolled up waterproof backpack, and my intervalometer inside the camera bag as well. No flash on this trip.

Right now I have the smaller of the two ball heads on the tripod, but I'm still considering a little extra weight and using the better ball head.

Can't wait.

Any suggestions on the best meter setting for my 5D2? I guess it doesn't matter, I'll shoot in manual anyway.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

crap, I'm sorry, Andy, I just saw this now..
Looks like you are well prepared. I'm not sure about the 70-2000 for falls shooting.
ND 1.8 is good. I usually reduce by more that 8 stops when shooting daytime and with a bright lens. Your f/2.8 is bright, but don't stop down more than f/18 to avoid losing details. The polarizer should help slow the shutter as well.
Shoot in mirror lift mode.

The smaller head should do it if you leave the telephoto at home Though I'm not sure how close you will get to the falls.

My recommendations for shooting in the rain...
Seal-able plastic bags, large ones, scissors, electrical tape. If it gets heavy I make a makeshift raincoat for my slr our out this. Otherwise, I seal up everything in the bags.
I also put in those silica gel packets in the bags with the lenses and bodies (and keep them stored this way for days after shooting in the rain (probably a good idea to fight lens mold in humid places like thailand).
I always throw a bunch of silica gel packets into my camera bag just to keep things dry.
I have a clamp that also holds an umbrella from my tripod.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Hi Matt. Thanks for the tips. They will come in useful. Right now it's 5:45 am Sundy morning. As of now it's not raining. In an hour we will leave our cabin near the foot of the falls trail and start our hike. We chose to rough it inside the park in order to begin before 8 when the park opens. It will be crowded after buses arrive at 10. They have warned us of wild monkeys and suggested we wait until 8 when there are officers on duty but we will risk the early departure. We met some Americans yesterday who ran into a group of monkeys near the top.

There are 7 falls each at a higher level and with its own charm. That should give me plenty of opportunity to practice today. I will report back with photos once back in Bangkok.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I would go just for the monkeys!