Erie Canal Lock 32, Fort Plain Oddity

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

While on a bike ride I happened to notice what looked like an abandoned stone lock structure. As there were no readily apparent traces of the Erie Canal I was a bit startled to see the lock stonework spring up from the ground from 'nowhere'. Curious I stopped to take a few pictures. Unfortunately at the time I angled the camera view to try to hide some of the debris and trash that had collected in the old lock chamber.

Peering through the underbrush surrounding the old lock I got the impression that a structure was built straddling the lock, but the brush blocked a clear view. I thought I was being utterly ridiculous. Who builds a house directly atop an old lock?

In researching for some information about this lock I found I couldn't have been more wrong. Someone did indeed build a house on top of the former lock chamber walls. Had I taken a picture directly down the chamber - trash and all - I would have more readily seen the building on the lock.

The picture attached is the one I took of the lock itself. But if you want better pictures and the history of this particular lock I suggest you visit:
http://www.tug44.org/canal.history/erie-lock-32/

I've read accounts of bankrupt canal auctioning off locks to people who carted the stone away to build a house elsewhere. But I've never hear or read anywhere on the Erie Canal or any of its subsidiary branch canals where someone built their home directly atop a lock using the lock walls as part of the cellar.
Attachments
Fort Plain Lock 32.jpg
Fort Plain Lock 32.jpg (200.88 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Wow! That is quite a find. The structure and the story! Had I been around during that era, I think I may have wanted to build on one. :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That is very interesting!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Very interesting! A shame it's not being kept up. The structure could made an interesting landscape feature for a hours (hanging garden or even a mural).
I was wondering about canal-front properties (the parts of the modern canal that still have water)-- are those in demand and fetch a higher price?