Erie Canal Locks 28 and 29

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

These two locks were part of the enlarged Erie Canal, and were constructed in 1841. They were both improved and enlarged about 40 years later. You'll find these locks just east of the Fort Hunter/Tribes Hill area. Yankee Hill Lock (No. 28) is accessible by car. There's a restored canal store and an area with picnic tables near the river.
Attachments
YankeeHillLockStore.jpg
YankeeHillLockStore.jpg (154.84 KiB) Viewed 8232 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Part of the Towpath Trail that connects Yankee Hill Lock, the Empire Lock, and Fort Hunter. I liked the idea that I could bicycle on the same towpath where mules towed boats along the canal.
Attachments
towpathtrail.jpg
towpathtrail.jpg (195.59 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

Lock 29, also known as the Empire Lock. This lock was built with private funds during a time when New York State experienced a financial crisis (can you imagine!) and couldn't afford to fund canal improvements. The person who fronted the money was eventually reimbursed by the state, but only received about half of his expenses because the state felt he'd padded the bills by that amount. This lock is only accessible via one of the trails that connect the lock to Ft. Hunter or to Yankee Hill Lock. The picture shows one of the two chambers.
Attachments
EmpireLock.jpg
EmpireLock.jpg (173.78 KiB) Viewed 8228 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Very interesting... when I hear locks around the 30's range, I always think Rochester region, but I guess they went through renumbering a few times. This really makes me want to do a canal-based website, but that would be way too much to cover. I do enjoy learning about the old locks and outlier locks like 29. very cool.