Covered Bridges

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

One other thing I've really gotten into photographing is covered bridges. I actually just got a book about NY covered bridges I'm hoping will aid me in my search.

Wondering if anyone else is into these? I've shot four so far and hoping to get a fifth this weekend.
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with content similar thread.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I didn't know there were many around here. What book did you buy? I'll add it to our store and probably pick up a copy myself.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

there are tons in Vermont. My grandfather says there are some in the southern tier
And ah yes - here they are:
http://www.nycoveredbridges.org/page4.html
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

The book can be found here: NY Covered Bridges

Haven't had the chance to really get into it yet, but I will after work tonight. Looks nice.

Also, maybe I'll post in here the ones I've hit so far. I have four and hoping for five this weekend. There are other close ones to me I want to see if I can get to before the snow flies. I'm also going to get a book on ones in Connecticut and New England. Covered Bridges, to me, are just as cool as waterfalls. :)

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

Covered Bridges humm never tried to shoot them,
I know their’s one south of Ithaca on route 13!
post the picks you have I'd like to see them.
and welcome hoohaa
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Rather than go searching and everything for these shots again (they are on a different external hard drive than I have hooked up), I'm going to post links to shots I have on my photo blog.

Downsville covered bridge:
Downsville 1
Downsville 2

Hamden covered bridge:
Hamden 1
Hamden 2
Hamden 3

Fitch's Covered Bridge (Delhi):
Fitch's 1
Fitch's 2
Fitch's 3

And backpacker, the one south of Ithaca is the one I want, I believe. It's in Newfield and I'm hoping to see it this weekend. Pending the weather, I might attempt to visit Blenheim on Thursday to see the one there -- which is the longest single-span covered bridge in the world.

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Here's a little background on the Newfield bridge:
http://newfield.netfirms.com/bridge.htm
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

There aren’t many of them left, unfortunately. Many aren’t even able to be crossed by vehicles. A few are private. And some are not the easiest to find or travel to because they are in different parts of the state.

But, for those interested in waterfalls or other nature photography, covered bridges could give you something else to shoot on your trips.

The beauty of a covered bridge is you can usually get every angle, shot or whatever in 15-30 minutes and be on your way. Believe me, however, if you explore and vision different shots, you can be there longer – or at worst, be making 2-3 trips there a year to see the bridge in different seasons.

I’ve visited five of New York’s 24 remaining Covered Bridges. I’m hoping to add the sixth within the next few weeks and once spring breaks, I’m looking to add many more. I’ve also looked into trips to Connecticut, Vermont and Pennsylvania to see some in those states.

I’m hoping this forum will show the beauty that is covered bridges and maybe get others interested in these. The bridges really are a link to the past and to see some which still stand and are used daily is a great thing.

Soon, I’ll be sending in some dues to join the New York State Covered Bridge Society. If you are interested, you should check them out by clicking here.

There are a bunch of newer covered bridges along with the old, historic ones. Some are tiny and some aren’t historically made like older ones. Follow this link to see a showing of every covered bridge in the state. I’d like to do more research on them as the New York State Covered Bridge Society doesn’t list all of these: click here.

Hopefully others will join in this new forum to chat about covered bridges, landmarks, canals, dams and lighthouses!

I'd also like to thank Matt for creating this forum and welcoming me as a member of his staff. I look forward to contributing as much as possible!