Newfield Covered Bridge

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Of the few covered bridges I've had the chance to visit so far, this is one of my favorites. It's not too large, but has that old-school barn-type look to it. The red paint, the cut-back entrance and that it's in a small community is even better.

Newfield's Covered Bridge, which still can handle 5 tons of weight, was built in 1853 and is in the middle of the village of Newfield. With the way it's set and with signs and such (as well as a small little park-type area around it) that the village is very proud of its covered bridge.

A one-lane bridge, Newfield's red delight is 115-feet long an crosses West Branch Cayuga Creek. This one also is a beauty because of some of the works inside the bridge itself (see photos which will be coming). That's the key with these covered bridges, you need to make sure to walk through them and look at the walls, trusses and beams -- you never know what you'll find.

Photo friendly: The area seems to be photo friendly. There are parking spots right near the bridge as well as a small little stairwell and park so you can get a side view. You could spend a few minutes just photographing everything surrounding the bridge. For other photo ops, make sure to head over to Ithaca (obviously) and see waterfalls! It's a nice quick side trip from waterfalling the Ithaca area.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Excellent. That bridge is very interesting-looking. I like the exposure and color you are getting out of your camera. Are you lucking out getting overcast skies when you are shooting these bridges or do you get to them early?
I had a heck of a time shooting a covered bridge in Yosemite, because of the bright sun and surrounding trees. I wonder how shots would come out in bright sun- probably not as much detail both out and inside the bridge at the same time.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Matt wrote:Excellent. That bridge is very interesting-looking. I like the exposure and color you are getting out of your camera. Are you lucking out getting overcast skies when you are shooting these bridges or do you get to them early?
I had a heck of a time shooting a covered bridge in Yosemite, because of the bright sun and surrounding trees. I wonder how shots would come out in bright sun- probably not as much detail both out and inside the bridge at the same time.
Matt -- sorry I never responded to this one.

I think I got lucky with most of them to get overcast skies. However, overcast is not always better, I've found, with covered bridges. If you can get a brilliant blue sky behind some of these, I think those, too, can be amazing shots. My goal is to hit another 8-10 this spring/summer, so hopefully have a chance to post some different looking skies behind these bridges!

rwelch715
Rookie
Camera Model: SONY a300 & a350

just visited and drove over the covered bridge in Newfield, NY this week, very cool!
Attachments
DSC03728.JPG
DSC03728.JPG (267.02 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
DSC03711.JPG
DSC03711.JPG (412.61 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added to existing Newfield Bridge topic to keep things tidy and easy to find!
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Ohhhhh! That's a nice one!

I think I will merge your post with the existing Newfield Bridge topic to keep things compact and easy to find.

I've also combined the 3 less specific covered bridge threads into one topic.

Would love to see more pics if you have them! :up:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic