Fitch's Bridge

Discuss and show off your photos of Lighthouses, Dams, Covered Bridges, Canals, and Historic Landmarks here.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly, hoohaa

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

This one is in my hometown of Delhi. Growing up, I think many of us thought covered bridges were normal and were an everyday occurrence. However, as I grew older, I realized how lucky we were to have this covered bridge -- as well as several others -- within a short driving distance. The three within 30 minutes of each other have all been renovated and I was lucky enough to see them in their old and new form (unfortunately, I don't believe I have any old photos of the bridges).

Fitch's Bridge, located on Route 10 in the Town of Delhi, is a 100-foot bridge that crosses the East Branch of the Delaware River. It goes from Back River Road to State Route 10. If leaving the town of Delhi, head toward Stamford on Route 10 and it's about three miles out of town. You can't miss it as Route 10 rides the river and it'll be on your right.

For photos, I would usually park either on the opposite side of Route 10 (more room to park), or cross the bridge and park on the opposite side. Be careful, however, as the back side of the river is a tough place to park.

Once I learn some GPS, I'll try and get some coordinates.

ADDITIONAL PHOTO OPS: This area is outstanding for other little things. Across bridge on the back river side is a small stream, which is a delight to shoot. It has some cool formations where the water comes over the rocks. This is one of my favorite spots in all seasons to shoot. Also, the East Branch of the Delaware River is a good spot to possible see bald eagles and there are some great views looking up and down from Fitch's Bridge.

Nearby is the Delaware County Historical Society (back about a 1/4 mile toward Delhi on Route 10), which includes the Frisbee House.
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

This is one of my favorite views of the bridge, from the Route 10 side. The rolling hills and mountains behind make for a great image.

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

This side is from the Back River Road side, looking across to Route 10.

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

This final image is a sign that appears on many covered bridges. In the beginning, many of these bridges were built because it was easier to bring cattle across them -- covering it up wouldn't spook the animals. It also preserved the wood. This sign eas because of all the cattle crossing and many bridges leave these on for historical preservation.

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

a very photogenic bridge. That sign is great!
Mark J
Senior
Senior

I also live near a scenic and historic covered bridge. This is in Pepperell, Mass. about three miles from my house. This bridge is on the site of an important confrontation between armed colonial housewives and British Redcoats. The ladies sent the Brits packing!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den

It is certainly possible to include covered bridges and waterfalls in the same trip, though covered bridges tend to be near towns, while waterfalls tend to be away from towns in the hllls and mountains. There are some cool covered bridges linking New Hampshire and Vermont, both of which are outstanding waterfall destinations.

Mark J.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Did some winter shots here today as part of my Project 365.

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

My take on Fitch's Bridge...

I could have made a few bucks here - based on the number of fast moving vehicles.

Inside the bridge - looking out.

My signature - light at the end of the tunnel shot.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic