Any GoPro users out there?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I just bought a gopro for a huge project I'm working on. I got the Gopro Hero 3+ Black (think they need more names to add on to their models. AmIright?)
I know NOTHING about gopros. Apparently they don't even have live-view LCDs... Which is odd for that price.

So.. what is the essential gear I need? What do you use it for (I'm look for ideas until i get my project rolling)?
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I'm curious too. They looked interesting to me. But I couldn't really justify one since I don't really know what I would use it for.
Matt
President
President

I was thinking I would strap it to my head and record when i walk trails, post up captures of points for trail guides.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

You could always get one of those helicopters we had talked about.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I had looked at these, and saw some footage, but could never imagine using one. They seem to be best used by daredevils jumping off cliffs or surfing 30 foot waves. Anything I would use it for would be pretty boring. Strapping one to your head and hiking a trail might be cool, but how would you keep it steady? Wouldn't it just be a continuous bouncing image?
LGD
Matt
President
President

Ok... here's the secret. I just designed, on paper, a custom Phantom drone build, for which I picked up my gopro. I'm probably going to buy it in the spring, out of pocket, and use it for NYFalls videos (please please buy things through the amazon links ;) ). It would also be a great way to explore (how about the upper part of Havana Glen?).
I will have the gopro mounted on a gimbal, so video is smooth, and i hope to have some time of first-person-view feed going from the drone to the radio controller, so I can see what the drone sees.
My issue is that the autopilot system, which keeps the drone flying straight and allows it to return home if it loses signal or gets low on battery, runs on GPS. In places like Watkins Glen and other deep trenches, it's tough to get and maintain a GPS signal. I'm going to be a very experienced pilot and perhaps risk losing my drone if i take it into places like that.
I think my first project is flying it over and around letchworth.

What kind of video can this rig capture?

Here are some examples from people that built similar rigs, all shot on the gopro3 hero

[BBvideo 700,419]https://vimeo.com/83001237[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 700,419]https://vimeo.com/83187924[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 700,419]https://vimeo.com/83186544[/BBvideo]

This one is a bit over-proccessed but cool
[BBvideo 700,419]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWedSayZ64A[/BBvideo]
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

It would also be a great way to explore (how about the upper part of Havana Glen?).

:popcorn:
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II

That's cool, congrats! I was thinking what if you add a balloon to the rig. Something to take some load off of the motors to extend the life of the flight. Be careful of the up drafts and crazy air currents from the large falls and gorges.
Last edited by Des219 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.