Any GoPro users out there?

Discuss everything including the optimal equipment, seasons, techniques and tips for capturing excellent photos.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

My first underwater experience was pretty much a success. The conditions weren't great but the camera works as advertised. I used antifog strips and I got no fog!

The monopod gave great extension, allowing me to get closer to the fish than I otherwise would have but most of the fish darted away when they saw the camera coming. I was able to place the monopod in a couple of holes, but nothing interesting went near the camera so none of those clips are useful.

I'll put together some of the clips and post after the weekend. Andy
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Found a great use for the GoPro. We stopped by a seafood shop by the sea to choose our live crabs and prawn for lunch. Using the GoPro and iphone app I was able to inspect the seafood without taking every one out of the tub. Ended up with an incredible lunch!! Will post the video from Bangkok.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Here is a compilation of my first attempt at underwater videography. Snorkeling with my GoPro Hero 3+. Filmed in the Andaman Sea off of Trang, Thailand. Make sure to change to 720P HD.

Next time I will concentrate harder on less movement of the camera. As you will see, I tended to wave the camera (at the end of a long monopod) back and forth as I was swimming and diving, and this results in too much motion. This type of movement also affects focus, and you can see some of the fish moving in and out of focus a few times.

Overall, the experience was great. I removed a bit of green cast in post processing, and bumped the contrast just a bit to compensate for less than ideal water clarity. I love the camera. It's easy to use, and the results are everything I had hoped they would be.

[BBvideo 700,419]http://youtu.be/qukQ5biMjPE[/BBvideo]

Andy
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Very nice, Andy!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That's amazing! Which housing did you use?
Do you think a head strap would work better with controlling waving movement?
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Hi Matt,

I used the standard waterproof housing that came with the camera, and it was foolproof.

I considered a headcam, wristcam, etc. but settled on the pole because as I said my goal was to plant the pole and leave it. That just didn't work. What you are seeing is only a small portion of a lot of video I have. Much of it is much more stable, there is just less activity. That makes sense I guess -- the more fish, the more likely I was to wave the pole to follow them. So I know it's possible to swim and dive with a stable grip on the monopod, I just have to remind myself to control movement when I'm excited about the fish I'm seeing.

The other thing I'm aware of after the fact is the wide angle. In reviewing the film I see a field of view much greater than I imagined as the camera was held out in front of me. So some of the side to side movement is not necessary since the fish I was trying to capture were already in the field of view.

With clearer water I would have gone with 1080/60, but due to the clarity issue as well as the late afternoon shaded water, I went with 1080/30. I think that /60 can do better when the light cooperates.

On a humorous note, the opening shot showing me swimming at the surface wasn't planned. I had planted the monopod between some rocks, and as I returned to the surface it tipped over, pointing directly up and capturing me swimming. Most of the other plants resulted in the camera tipped directly down. If I want to try planting the camera again, I have to have a better method of putting the monopod in place. Note that I was extremely careful so that I didn't do any damage to the reef -- that probably contributed to the lack of fixed monopod placement.

I'll have more opportunities to try this again, but probably not for a few months until after the rainy season. I absolutely can't wait -- this is the most fun I've had taking photos in a few years!!
ApproachingLight
Board Expert
Board Expert

wondering if anyone has tried this? I have the GoPro 3 but for someone who doesn't want to cough up those bucks but wants to try the concept, this looks like an inexpensive way. Just don't know if the quality is any good.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 9.14.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 9.14.08 AM.png (165.17 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have seen those listed on Woot on a few occasions. I read the reviews and was on the fence. I'm sure they will return and if I have a job at that time, I may pick up one for that "over the falls" idea. I don't quite trust myself to do that to the Gopro just yet.