Hoping to take my wife to Niagara Falls in August

The place to talk about the world famous waterfall attraction, the tourism, and the condition of each side of the border.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

Wow this is all great info! I think that even if I don't get a ring-side seat on the Maid of the Mist, using the GoPro on a monopod I can at least elevate it. I've been doing some research, and I think I will use Rain-X on the GoPro case to help bead up the water and have it blown away, but I'll also bring a wipe for it.

Matt, can you give any pointers on SLR photos from the vantage points you mentioned, e.g. what time of day I should go, etc.?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

For Niagara Falls, sunny is best. Mid day and decent winds is idea. When they built the large resorts on the canadian side, it began trapping the mist in the gorge, and it's near impossible to see all of the horseshoe falls now. I was there on a day (just happened to be a day i decided not to shoot) when the winds were just right to lift up all the mist and it was a very clean view of the falls. I haven't seen it like that since. A polarizer is give you the deepest of colors (in that case, put a clear filter over it to avoid scratching the expensive polarizer when you wipe mist away (which is always a problem when shooting from near the falls). I don't think a slow shutter looks good at all on Niagara. The faster the shutter, the better. At night, slow is ok, but not too slow. Half second at best.

The main problem with shooting mid-day is PEOPLE... way too many of them. The key is to climb and to take advantage of the spots that don't offer an ideal view... just capture the frenzy, not the falls. Make the falls the backdrop. Getting up early works, but the low light casts more shadows. People just tend to start being tourist around 10-11am. I had a great time shooting at 9 am. Very few people. When people pack in, you have to wait and be aggressive. There maybe will be a spot opened up for one person and a monopod... rarely for two people unless you are lucky or super aggressive.

I enjoyed shooting the whirlpool more than the falls itself, but that's just me. There were very few people actually down at water level below the whirlpool. You fall in there, you die. That's cool.

They won't allow you to take a monopod on the maid of the mist, but you may be able to get away with it by hiding it. You'll want to nudge yourself to the beginning of the line when you are below the cliffs waiting for the next ride. Go for the upper deck of the maid. Especially with the gopro. Even if the wide angle captures the people below deck, that will be an amazing view. You WILL, and should wipe down your lens with a dray cloth regularly. keep the cloth under your poncho and fold it to a clean part each time. a quick gentle back and forth is generally enough. don't press firm as the mist from the falls has a lot of particulates. There's very little room to move around on the maid. You will probably get nudged a bit.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

I wanted to thank everyone for all the information about Niagara Falls. We spent last night at Sheraton on the Falls in a Deluxe Falls View room, and it was great. We were on the 20th floor, third room from the end of the hall (2072). The balcony was really just a protective bar in front of the window. I was able to use the bottom of the balcony railing to take stabilized photos of the American falls but the angle to the Horseshoe falls was such that I could not take a clear photo from that same position -- instead I had to balance on top of the railing -- which wasn't great for the night shots.

I had no problem with the GoPro and monopod on the Maid of the Mist (NY side). They saw me take it on and never said anything. Additionally I was the last person on the boat, at about 2PM on Tuesday, and still got a railing spot -- it was not full at all!! It was clear that at the same time the Hornblower on the Canadian side was much more packed.

It took 40 minutes getting through customs to Canada -- a very slow line on the Rainbow Bridge. And it took almost an hour to get back (on the Lewiston Bridge). We walked the edge of the river on the Canadian side as the sun was going down and we were treated to spectacular rainbows connecting the American and Horseshoe falls.

Every decision we made based on the advice here was perfect. Thanks again.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Glad our advice was helpful. I am jealous :). I am not sure when we will get back there. It sounds like the two of you had a great time. Anxious to see some of your photos and videos.