A quick stop...

The place to talk about the world famous waterfall attraction, the tourism, and the condition of each side of the border.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

OK, though I know I should be trying to plan a longer stay for up here, reality, finances and everything else dictates otherwise.

Anyhoo...

There's a possibility that I'll be zooming through this area this upcoming weekend. A couple of us have something else planned that will take us close to the Falls, so I figured, at worst, I wanted to get there and see them (it's been many, many years since I have been here) and would try and give as much time as I could. Reality might limit us to an hour or two though because we have a bunch that we need to get done.

My question is this (I read all the stuff on the site here and have an idea of the items there but needed to check more) is does anyone have any recommendations/tips on how to go about an efficient stop to be able see the Falls the best and check things out to the best of our ability in a small time frame? I know it apparently costs like $10 per carload to get in, but from there, I wasn't sure.

My plan will be to come back again when I can see more and stay longer, but it would seem silly for me to not even stop if we come close this weekend. We're still planning so it may fall through, but it looks like we might be up this way.

Thanks!
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Are you staying on the American side? Pretty simple from there, just park and walk over to the viewing platform. Also from there you can walk or drive over to Goat Island to view Horseshoe Falls and Bridal Veil.

A couple of hours should be plenty, but ymmv.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Won't be staying anywhere, but yes, will be on the US side of things. It's been so long since I had been there, so I didn't know about parking and all that as I couldn't remember. If it's that easy, it should work out well! Thanks!

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Don't quote me, but as I recall its pretty easy. I'm sure Matt has some more insight on the matter.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

In the end, it might not matter as it appears the trip might need to be canceled. Alas, I do plan on trying to get up there sometime this year, so I'll keep all this info in my head!

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

I think it will be crowded early this year with all the press from the tightrope walker. I noticed my Niagara traffic is up nearly 300%.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

I'll be utilizing this stuff this weekend as we're doing the one-day trip through the area Saturday (unless I can't shake this summer cold and have to bail). Probably will only have about 1.5 hours or so. I'd love to spend more time, but it's a busy day. So I'm hoping to do the best I can in that timeframe to check things out, get a few images and all that. Wish I could spend more time and cross over to the other side for the different views, but the other person going is without a passport, so it won't be able to work out that well.

Hope I can at least get a quick view and some fun for that small window. And, on the bright side, it will give me the urge to come back for a longer stay!

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

if you are on the US side only, then a small window will work... there's the falls, then there's eating at the hard rock (or indian food) that's really all there is left.