The sorry state of the American side (commerce)

The place to talk about the world famous waterfall attraction, the tourism, and the condition of each side of the border.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Falls and parks-American side

Anything else-Canadian side
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

strip clubs - Canadian side :up:
hobkyl

Matt wrote:strip clubs - Canadian side :up:

:up: :up: :up: :banana: :devildance: :chillidance: :pickledance: :funkydance:
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
spartacusii
Junior
Junior

Matt wrote:I actually prefer the viewing experience from the American side, as the platform we have gets a full panoramic view of both falls, and you can walk right up to, the American Falls and Bridal Veil.
I think the Hard Rock is really the only place to eat around there that isn't Indian Food.
as the platform we have gets a full panoramic view of both falls
c'mon - you can't be serious. the platform gives you as good a view of the american falls as you're gonna get from the american side, but even at that, i wouldn't say it is the best view of the american falls. but where i REALLY take issue with your statement is the view of the canadian falls. HARDLY what i would call a panoramic view - that is just flat stretching the truth beyond credulity. you are permitted, perhaps, 10-20% of the entire horseshoe, & that is it.

only having been on the american side, i can't really compare. but from what i could percieve, EXPERIENCING the falls appeared to be better from the american side; but if it was truly the best VIEWING that you were in search of, i'd have to concede that to the canadian side. we only had 2 days for our recent visit, so we made a conscious decision to limit it to the american side. but, i determined that i would be more than willing to make a return visit for the sole purpose of crossing over to the canadian side for optimal views.

jp
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

the first 17 shots in the gallery, including my favorite, the cover shot, was taken from the American side.... That cover shot was from the tower.
And you can actually get closer to the falls from the American side from the park without having to pay for an attraction.
spartacusii
Junior
Junior

matt - you're being obtuse & not really replying to my comments. if you go back & read what i wrote, i agreed with you that the tower affords you as good a view of the AMERICAN falls as you're going to get . . . from the american side of the river. where i took complete exception to your comments was where you stated that the view from the tower afforded you a full panoramic view of both sets of falls, which i took to mean the american falls & the canadian falls. & as i pointed out, very little of the candian falls is visible from the observation tower.

perhaps you only intended to mean american & bridal veil falls when you used the term 'both'? in which case, would probably boil down to personal taste. i am quite sure that most people would prefer the much broader perspective of the american falls from across the river at some point. sometime down the road i hope to make it across & i'll be able to share my own opinion on the matter once i have been able to experience it for myself.

BTW - i have a handful of pics of niagara falls that i thought i would share, & i know most falls you have a thread for that purpose. i will look around again, but i don't think i saw a thread for other people to share pics of niagara.

jp
hobkyl

Insert fiesty smilie :lol:

I've only viewed the falls from the Canadian side twice and both times I was less than impressed. There is a great deal of mist covering the falls when viewing from that side, as well as its near impossible to stay dry and keep your lens from accumulating little moisture beads even 1-2 blocks away. The view of the falls is much clearer when standing on the American side as the mist travels away and toward the Canadian side.
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

spartacusii wrote: BTW - i have a handful of pics of niagara falls that i thought i would share, & i know most falls you have a thread for that purpose. i will look around again, but i don't think i saw a thread for other people to share pics of niagara.

jp
JP - you can share your photos here. Niagara Falls
And please, if you don't see a topic already started, feel free to start your own.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic