Snakes

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

Wow, Brenda! You did well to get that first one by yourself!! Good teamwork on the second one! Very cool, but I'm still timid around snakes.... :shock:
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I was such a tomboy when I was little, and my mom never discouraged it. I've been handling snakes most of my life. I was very fortunate to grow up here, knowing that nothing could really hurt me. I feel sorry for my grandnephew who moved to GA when he was too little to have experienced that, and now he has a natural and well-founded fear of them. I bet that my guests would have found it humorous to see me capturing a snake in a dress, but then they're a group of city girls so maybe not. :shock: I found the dichotomy amusing.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Very nice.... a slight hint of red to the pattern.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Great find!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
pacman

A couple years ago I was camping near Shinhopple NY - which is near Downsville. It's on the western side of Catskill State Park. While tubing down the river I came to a shallow area. Just as I was getting out of the water I came face to face with a snake. It was literally 'standing' about a foot out of the water. The water must have been about 4 inches deep at the most and this snake was sticking straight up out of the water - like a cobra would stand... Once I got up, it submerged itself and swam away. Does anyone know what type of snake would do this? And is it poisonous? It looked similar to the picture of the ribbon snake on this site, but I remember seeing more reddish colors on it. It's been bugging me for quite a while. Thanks.
Khallera
Rookie
Camera Model: Sony CyberShot 5.1 mega pixels

Sounds to me like you encountered a Northern Copperhead. Venomous snakes swim vertical, non-venomous swim horizontal. Good to know he wanted away from you, more than you wanted away from him! Also, the pit-viper shape to its head (sort of a heart shaped) should give him away that it is venomous, along with vertical pupils, instead of round. Though, best hope you're never that near to see its pupils!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

hopefully it was just a common garter, which can have yellow or orange stripes like the ribbon snake, and they are both comfortable in water. But a pit viper certainly makes for a better story. :D
Khallera
Rookie
Camera Model: Sony CyberShot 5.1 mega pixels

For the vertical posturing (though only in four inches deep of water) along with reddish color mentioned.... Hmm, too bad a camera wasn't right there, right then! The milk snake is often confused with the Copperhead. Though, a pit viper's head is so distinct, along with the pupils. A rhyme for the Coral snake goes like this: When red meets black it's a friend of Jack, when red meets yellow, kill the fellow. I use this for ID, only. I do not wish for any snake to be killed. :(