Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Get your hummingbird feeders up! They're back! We put our feeders out on Tuesday (though I'd heard of sightings a week earlier), and my husband just spotted one at the feeder outside our livingroom window. Experts are saying that the old 5/15 - 9/15 for having feeders out in our area no longer holds true, because birds will drop by for a drink on their way north in the spring, and leaving the feeders up a bit later in Sept. will help out the stragglers. Just boil up a mixture of 4 parts water to one part sugar (be sure to let it cool before you fill the feeder--ouch). You can add a couple of drops of red food coloring, but it's not necessary, particularly once they've found the feeder. Be sure to change the nectar and wash the feeder weekly. Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but it's better than the birds developing a fungus from nasty nectar/feeders. If you're not going to do it right, it's better to not do it at all. I make up a half gallon of nectar at a time and keep it in the fridge. At the height of the season, I have to refill my three feeders every few days.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Jennifer
Junior
Junior
Camera Model: 50D with 10D backup

Brenda, we had our first Hummer visit today too. Two years ago we had as many as 10 at a time. It was quite a sight! Last year, though, we didn't have as many. Hopefully this year will be better. They are so cute.
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I've decided to change the placement of my feeders this year. In the past, I had them so close together that it seemed that the birds spent as much time fighting as they did feeding. Given how territorial they are, this year I've placed only one feeder by our cabin, one on my office porch, and one out between the two rental cabins. It will be interesting to see how that affects overall consumption. Since we built here, we've also been planting perennials specifically to attract the hummingbirds, such as hollyhocks and columbine, and my trumpet vine finally bloomed last summer, in it's fourth year. Planting perennials and shrubs to attract the birds are a good alternative for someone who doesn't have the time, or the inclination, to mess around with the feeders.
Jennifer
Junior
Junior

Cool, Brenda. I'd be interested in hearing about any changes you notice.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Is there a hummingbird feeder you would recommend?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I have tried many different types of feeders, and my favorite by far is the Perky-Pet Brand Oasis feeder. It's a disc shaped feeder with six feeding stations and perches. It has a center well (moat) around the hanger that holds water so ants can't get into the feeding stations. It's easy to clean because the red lid snaps off from the clear base. You do have to watch for mildew growth in and around the yellow "flowers" on the lid, but that will be the case with any feeder, and they're easily cleaned with an old toothbrush. It holds 2 cups of nectar, which is more than sufficient. I don't recommend feeders that hold more than 2 cups, because the nectar usually goes bad before it's used up. I had the feeders down to refill today, so I snapped a quick photo (sorry about the brightness).

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II

I received this feeder as a gift last summer. While it's nice to look at it's a pain to clean. The facets on the glass are difficult to reach with a bottle brush, and the bottom is one piece so it's impossible to clean down inside. I just soak it and rinse it with really hot water. The feeder also holds four cups, but it only has three feeding stations. The hummers had a hard time figuring out how to drink from it was well, with there being no difference in color on the "flowers." One interesting thing that I've noted about it this spring, however, is that it's easy to tell the returning birds from the newbies, because the residents go right for it while new arrivals or transients don't know what to do with it.

My ever so bright idea of spreading out my feeders this year has already proven to be less than successful. The returning birds just fought over the one feeder where there used to be three, instead of spreading out to the other feeders. They also kept hovering and looking for the old feeders, in the old spots. Rather than moving the feeders to reduce competition, it appears that the only solution is to buy more feeders and spread those out! Maybe I should start a side business selling bottled nectar, since I'll be making it by the gallon anyway!
Jennifer
Junior
Junior

That's interesting, Brenda.

Hey, I think I saw a 3pk for $10 bargain at Lowe's a couple weeks ago! :wink: