Bobcats pop reaches 5,000 - time to start hunting again!

Talk about sightings and get help identifying Plants, Animals, Fish, and Fungi. Share pictures and video.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Bobcat hunting could expand as numbers grow upstate
ALBANY — New York wildlife officials have proposed expanded hunting for bobcats as their population continues to grow upstate.

The Department of Environmental Conservation estimates there are 5,000 bobcats in New York.

That population is growing even in areas where killing bobcats has been allowed since the 1970s.

The agency is taking public comment until April 5 on plans to open several areas in the Southern Tier for hunting and trapping, and make some changes to the seasons for both of those activities.

More information is available on the DEC’s website.
source: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... rk-upstate

so, should we allow hunting just because there is recovery? After all, two things contributed to their decline in NY... habitat destruction... and over-hunting.
Risk it again? Or wait until they become a pest problem?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I would definitely wait till they become a problem. I have yet to hear reports of any nuisance problems. I don't think 5000 of a species is a stable population.

However funny, the other day I saw a video from Texas I believe in which two bobcats were on someones front lawn in a very suburban area having words with one another.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

The DEC is only concerned with revenue from license sales. They don't give a rat's ass about anything else. They've proven that time and time again.
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com