Arkwright Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Scott
Rookie

Mark J wrote:Good discussion, a few points...

1. You are not likely to be charged with trespass unless the land in question is fenced, improved or adequately posted. It is not trespassing to enter unposted, unfenced, unimproved property unless YOU have been told (orally, in writing, or by means of a sign) by the OWNER not to enter. If you leave when requested by the owner or a law enforcement officer, you are unlikely to be charged with trespass unless you have committed some further violation such as an act of vandalism, public intoxication, etc.

2. Carrying and using a trash bag while hiking any waterfall or creek actively demonstrates your respect for the land and for the landowner. Obviously destroying natural features or leaving trash behind are likely to increase your risk of being charged with trespass.

3. Respect posted signs. There are plenty of unposted places to explore.

Have fun, be safe, be respectful,

Mark J.
1st off I am NOACCESS ( just couldn't remember my password :oops: ) My best friend who is a DEC officer in Chautauqua has helped me post our property. So he is well aware that it's posted. Problem is they (as in the bad apples) take them down. We don't want to keep anyone from enjoying the falls but, if enjoying them is climbing on, jumping off, camping, shooting, cutting down our trees & leaving trash WE DON'T WANT YOU THERE. Now 99.9% of you on here are good people & we know that. If you would like to visit just PM or E-mail me. WE WILL STILL BE CUTTING ANY ROPES that are there. We have quite a collection of fine quality rope.....so if you bring it take it home or it's ours. Some say the county should buy the falls which would be fine, however keep in mind there are several private properties you have to cross up & down stream to get to the falls. So connecting it to county land is near impossible (food for thought). Take care & Matt sorry for the new login.....just couldn't remember my other one.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Scott wrote: We have quite a collection of fine quality rope.....so if you bring it take it home or it's ours.
:lol: that's great! :lol:
randybruyere

Thank you for the information....we will do so upon discreet email.
Mark J
Senior
Senior

It's great to have a landowner participating in the discussion! My practice when seeking permission to enter posted private property is to obtain and carry written permission from the landowner. That way I have evidence that I am not trespassing should any issues arise with law enforcement or others.

In another thread, we've been discussing the Cascades of Attica. These falls were in recent years posted against trespass, and news of this "off limits" status spread among the waterfall community. Apparently new owners have lifted the ban on visitors. It's a good example of why it's not necessarily effective to "post" one's land in an online forum... ownership changes with time, and the hiker in the woods can only rely on the presence or absence of posted signs or fences to know the current status of the land.

Another falls where a key access point changed hands in recent years is the Blue Hole in Rattlesnake Gulf in Otisco. Much of the area around this creek is posted, and understandably so as much of the land is very steep and subject to landslides. But the falls is still accessible if you know your way around and realize that there is often more than one route to a given destination. Another one that comes to mind is Great Gully in Union Springs -- some trails and access points are posted, but that doesn't make the falls off limits. Just find a lawful (unposted) access, usually on another owner's property.

And again, carrying a trash bag to pack out someone else's litter is a great way to show that your intent is not to trespass but to be a respectful visitor.

Mark J
Scott
Rookie

I went down today.....I was in a good mood, until I crossed the creek. Trash everywhere & 4 fresh trees cut down :angry: . The only good thing is they're running out of small trees to cut. I walked down this time ...I'll have to return with the atv & trash bags. I hope the bear I saw on the way down scares the s%&t out of these idiots. Someday I'm gonna follow one of these yahoos home & dump my trash on there lawn for the entire summer. Soooo anyone want to tag along & do a little clean up & enjoy the falls????
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Scott, I'm sorry to hear about the trash and trees. We will continue to have it listed here as off limits, and hopefully word will spread. I wonder if this is the result of locals or people coming from a ways. The cutting of the trees is curious... for fire perhaps?
Scott
Rookie

Matt wrote:Scott, I'm sorry to hear about the trash and trees. We will continue to have it listed here as off limits, and hopefully word will spread. I wonder if this is the result of locals or people coming from a ways. The cutting of the trees is curious... for fire perhaps?
Yes they cut then for camp fires. We normally have more probs this time of year. We get a lot of high schoolers & Collage kids. Like I said before I know it's not the good people on this forum that are doing the damage. Anytime any of you would like to visit, just let me know & we'll set it up. I feel bad for those who come a long ways to see our falls, if they run into me dealing with idiot collage kids, they may not see me being very nice. I scare them off. You can tell who there for the scenery & who's there to get drunk or high.
Marlene
Rookie

Hi Scott -

I am new to hiking in the Chautauqua area, as my oldest daughter is dating a boy in Bemus Point. I've been coming up about 2 - 3 times a month, and fill my days with hiking in various places and playing guitar. I saw the falls on the internet, and have seen maps to find it. I do understand that I need permission, however, to be on your property. I don't know when I'll be up in the area again, as my daughter's friend is coming to Erie this weekend, and going to church camp the next. It would possibly be the first or second week of August, just for one day. I may come alone, but I also may bring along a friend or my other two teenage children (respectable, conscientious kids). We are hardcore environmentalists, and promise to leave only footprints and take only pictures. I do take along a backpack in case I see trash other people left - I pick it up and hike it out.

How can I go about getting permission to see the falls, and must I give you a specific date closer to the time? Would you like an approximate time in and out? I have maps, but is there a way that you like best that is least intrusive on the private property?

As an owner of 50 acres outside of Erie, I understand and respect your need for controlling who is on your land. Some people these days leave a lot to be desired.

I look forward to hearing from you!