Montville Falls / Decker Creek Falls - Cayuga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Montville Falls / Decker Creek Falls

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip.
67%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
33%

Total votes: 6
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Discuss Montville Falls and Decker Creek Falls and surrounding area here:
Matt
President
President

Matt
President
President

mbroughton02
Rookie

The falls are awesome, but the property owner at the Mill is a real prick. He would not let us walk up the creek, which runs adjacent to his property, and he definitely does not let people park at the mill described here any more.

Instead, continue east on 38A and turn left into Indian Mound Cemetery. Follow the signs to Section 9 (SEC 9) and park on the right side of the road, just past the white SEC 9 marker. If you go back behind the large C.A. PARKER tombstone (the biggest one in the section), you can find your way down to the creek. It is very steep so wear good boots.

Once at the creek, go upstream about a half a mile to the Montville Falls. Definitely don't go downstream from the cemetary, or you end up on Mr. Grumpy's land. He yelled at me twice because I headed the wrong direction the second time :-(
Matt
President
President

Thanks for the info and welcome to the community!
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

hmmm, i think that creek has public fishing rights so i dunno if he can do that
philbo
Rookie

hello all,

I have to agree with a previous poster in regards to access to this falls. Best park in the cemetary and hike into the woods towards the gorge. Once along the rim head upstream, there is a path in the woods. You can follow this until you get to a point along the rim where there is an outcropping projecting into the gorge which gives you a great view of the falls. But before one gets to this outcropping, which is almost in the backyards of some houses, there is a trail that heads down the hill. Its an easy climb down (nothing like Angel Falls!) and a bit of a tricky walk up to the base of montville Falls if you don't want wet feet.

The double waterfalls we found up Decker Creek which runs into Dresserville creek is well worth going to see. Very pretty hike but not for the average hiker, prepared to get wet feet!