Sprakers Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Malcolmpk88
Rookie

I had heard of these falls but there was no mention of them anywhere online other than smaller ones in another nearby creek. Here is a video link and I'll try to upload a few photos. A friend told me that his friend bushwhacked to it from private property. I simply walked up the creek.

In this pic I am standing to the far right so you can get an idea of its height.

This is a picture of the pool beneath the falls.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SlzaX2lIEZ0/ ... 5%2529.JPG

Here is a video:
[BBvideo 700,419]https://youtu.be/bWyM3jxTAJE[/BBvideo]
Rickhem
Rookie
Camera Model: IPhone 6s+

Thanks to the original poster for adding these falls to the site.
While out for a trip to Canajoharie Falls and Wintergreen Park (see separate post) and being disappointed that the falls were not as accessible as I would have liked, I remembered reading this post. Since we were so close, I whipped out my IPhone, Google-mapped my position, and figured out where I needed to go to get to Sprakers Falls. I am very glad that we did.
Access is by way of a "road" called Canyon Road. It's a Minimum Maintenance road, more like a two-track, but there is a small pulloff area in the elbow where the falls are located. A failry obvious trail leads down to the top area of the falls and you can look out over the pool below and part of the gorge through which Flat Creek runs after the falls.
Here is a view from the top looking down towards where the next photo was taken:

We decided to bushwhack our way to the bottom, and followed the path that lots of tires and mattresses and living room furniture took when it was dumped from the top. It's steep, but manageable, and aside from that area, there was hardly any other trash to be found around the lower areas.
Here is a view from the side looking back up at the place where the first photo was taken:

For perspective, and as a nod to the original poster, here is a picture from the back edge of the clearing below the falls. The little black figure is my girlfriend, and her size gives perspective on how high the falls are:

Finally, here's a view from a couple hundred yards downstream from the falls, near one of the little (3-5 foot) falls that occur on Flat Creek, and looking back upstream towards the Sprakers Falls.

These falls are pretty spectacular and must look amazing when water flow is high. I didn't see any posted signs in the area where we explored, but other areas along the access road did have signs. Again, thanks to the original poster for sharing these falls here.