Cemetery Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

One of the falls I set out to find this weekend was Cemetery Falls, listed in Russell Dunn's Mohawk Region Waterfall Guide. He says it's a 60 foot falls, and shows a picture from 1910. I couldn't turn up any other pictures for the falls, so I thought that it would be well worth the effort to see them. He describes the falls starting on page 98, saying you can view the falls from the very corner of the Spraker family plot.

Well, not quite. I think since the book was published trees and undergrowth sprouted between the plot and the falls. So I walked outside the plot boundaries to get a better look. All I could see was about the bottom third or so of the falls. When I tried to start down the slope, I realized the recent rains had softened the bank quite a bit. About the only thing between me and the edge was the tree you see in the left of the picture. If I started to slide and missed it, it would be an eight story drop to a pancake landing below.

I thought about how mad my wife would get at me if I did such a thing, and all the paperwork the state would probably make me fill out. I decided to take what I could get and call it a day. So it's really not a good picture of the entire falls. Maybe a return in late fall after the leaves have fallen.
Attachments
14 Cemetery Falls.jpg
14 Cemetery Falls.jpg (261.63 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

Cool capture. Probably the right decision to not push it. Maybe next time. Still probably fun to visit a falls that is not too well seen.
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Yeah, Dunn's books offer up several old public domain postcard or lithograph images of falls and I think the only real pics are on the covers. It was definitely worth it to seek this one out and get a pic. Thanks!