Sugar Bush Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

In more ways than one - first, it seems to flow on a mat of mud, clay, algea, plants...

Second, it has no name, that I can find yet....

And the water source is ambiguous as well - perhaps a swamp or spring according to topos...
Here it is:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.05335,-76 ... 5C%2C%20ny

Comes into Skaneateles Creek in Jordan. Publically accessible by walking the stream bed from the fishing access point...I do wonder, if it is the waterfall that the original surveyor of the area spoke of in his journal..

From his 1799 journal "Two and one-half miles further down the stream is the falls below which will admit boats to come up to the foot of the falls. This situation struck my fancy for a seat more than any part of the country that I had been in yet, and if I should be lucky enough to purchase it would induce one to move into this part of the country."

There are problems with that being the falls he spoke of, but some more research might prove it to be true, although I'm still not sure.

Did you perhaps want a page for unnamed waterfalls?
tjconheady
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon Powershot S3

that's amazing
TJC

www.conheady.net...a cleaner, less biased, less censored, less-Matted forum
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

That is the weirdest NY falls I have ever seen. Excellent find.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

I'm going to have to double check, but if you look closely at the top, i don't think it's flowing from any further up the hill - it looks like its coming right out of the ground:

With all the plant growth and bacterial looking mats, I wonder if it could be a warm or sulfur spring?
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

is that mud or rock?
Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

That is very cool!
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

looks like mud. I'm going to go back early next week to sample the material and water temperature. Someone said it could be a sulpher spring - maybe the only sulpher spring waterfall? I thought about asking SUNY ESF or the DEC if they've ever investigated it before.
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer

the waterfalls' source is a spring apparently that is actually miles from the waterfall. I still have to verify it myself.

There is a large limestone cavern underneath the waterfall - so basically we're looking at a limestone base with dirt and plants still growing on it. The historical records leave no name of the waterfall. Dan King, who owns the property showed me around. The person who owned the house before him bought the land, and the guy gave the waterfall to his wife. When they died and Dan bought the land - there was no named attached to it. The house that they live in now used to be a power generation mill that provided hydroelectic power to Jordan back in the day. Directly upstream, there was a valve making company that had dammed the creek and made a huge pond that people boated on.

According to historical records, one of t he last black bears was killed in the cavern behind those waterfalls.

Permission is given to walk his area of the stream if you stop and ask, he said.

Maybe we should call it Bear Kill Falls...heh