Dam discovered

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Jeduthan
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Kodak Easyshare C1450

On a bike ride with a friend we discovered a dam. We've both lived in the area for at least 25 years and never heard of it. I asked permission of the property owners to scramble down the bank and take some pictures and they agreed. It's on McLachlan's pond, near Cranesville (Amsterdam NY).

After doing a bit of research, I found that two brothers ran a sawmill at this location in the 1860's. I didn't find any further industry mentioned here, so I think the dam is about 150 years old. It's constructed of cut stone with no concrete between them. From end to end the stonework is close to 200 feet long.
Attachments
stonework.jpg
stonework.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 8856 times
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Nice find, I'll add this to the waterfall database.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

The builders did a good job, as there was no water leaking through the dam at all. I saw some stones arranged in what looked like a tail race but I couldn't be sure.
Attachments
dam.jpg
dam.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 8853 times
Jeduthan
Guide
Guide

I saw a tree with a limb overhanging the creek downstream from the dam. The limb was almost horizontal as it grew out of the creek bank. Since the bank was congested with underbrush I thought it afforded a spot for a clear picture of the dam.

The limb was about 15 feet above the creek, and covered in spots with moss. On top of that my cycling shoes had slick soles with no 'tread' at all. Balancing with an overhead branch I was able to scoot out about 10 feet on the limb.

I raised the camera to snap the picture. And the camera shut down when the batteries went dead.

So I waited a bit turned the camera back on, and the batteries held up long enough for me to get this picture. I managed to get back to the bank without dropping myself into the creek.
Attachments
outonalimb.jpg
outonalimb.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 8852 times
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Nice, the old stonework is awesome, they sure put a lot of effort into that.
LGD
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Very interesting to see these old structures, especially in such good shape. I would say this counts as a nice waterfall find (I think I'm going to move the topic to there).
I wonder if this was built over a smaller falls (judging from the irregular bounces of water about half-way down).
BarefootBeckPhoto
Rookie
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D7000, and various others

Great find! Last summer I found a similar, though not as nice, old stone damn just over the boarder in Pennsylvania. It is on State Game Lands there and I can see where it once had created a pond. It's amazing what people could accomplish before TV and Internet LOL!