Canajoharie Gorge - Montgomery County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Canajoharie Gorge, publicly accessible, is located in (Canajoharie Village) CNY is a popular creek walk and features Canajoharie Falls, accessible from Wintergreen Park

[map=14]N 42.89262 W 74.56570|Canajoharie Falls[/map]

It features a massive pothole, called the Boiling Pot, or "the pot that washes itself"

Waterfall by Stacy Lynn Baum, on Flickr

Waterfall by Stacy Lynn Baum, on Flickr

Canajoharie Falls by Oram24, on Flickr

Jumpers by Stacy Lynn Baum, on Flickr

Canajoharie Falls, Halldor Sigurdsson by nysmuseum, on Flickr

Canajoharie, Laura Fromma by nysmuseum, on Flickr
Wintergreen Park is a geological wonder of breathtaking beauty. Free to the public, there is wheelchair-accessible family recreation, including scenic trails, picnicking, a softball field, large barbeque pits, horseshoe pits, shuffle board and volleyball courts, and a walking trail to spectacular Canajoharie falls. In addition there is a pavilion for parties up to 200 people. Reservations are necessary for large groups, call Village Offices at 673-5512. Please Note: No Swimming Allowed. There is parking above, by the Scenic Trail to the overlook, and below, by the pavilion.
Open May 31 to Labor Day, 9 to 9:30.
Detailed park map.

Directions: Wintergreen Park is a mile from Canajoharie Village. NYS Thruway E-W Exit 29, right on 5 S, left at light onto Church Street, left at Dummy Light onto Montgomery Street, right on Moyer St, stay right at intersection. Pass high school, bear right, see Park entrance on right.
Map here
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.89577,-74 ... 20Entrance
Attachments
Wintergreen Park Map
Wintergreen Park Map
wintergreen.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 19509 times
cbobcat49
Camera Model: Olympus Stylus 400

This shot looks exactly like Zoar!
Canajoharie Falls, Halldor Sigurdsson by nysmuseum, on Flickr
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us. ~Henry David Thoreau
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Awesomeness!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Looks great :up: It's amazing that there are easily accessed gorges out there still being "discovered"!
"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
idlehands
Rookie
Camera Model: iPhone4s

Park use says no swimming. Last picture is what then, bathing?

I really want to go here and it looks amazing, is it truly no swimming?
idlehands
Rookie

is it accessible before may 31st?
idlehands
Rookie

well it's open but I totally missed the trail to the waterfalls. Kiddo loved running around in the creek though. By the time he was wiped out i found the scenic trail. . . maybe next time! Anyone know where that dipping pool isin the last picture?
Aliny
Rookie
Camera Model: Canon Powershot G9

Ah, a place I know well! The thing about the, um, giant pothole is it's actually in a different part of the gorge. If you go to Wintergreen Park, you won't see it and it's not on the map posted here. There's an entrance to that part of the gorge right from town (off of Floral St. I think); it's easy to find. As far as I know, you can't get to the big falls from there so you'd have to drive between the two locations if you wanted to see both. The "lower" part is really nice, nicer than the bottom of the gorge at Wintergreen Park in my opinion. I'm not sure if swimming is allowed (conflicting info, I've heard/read it is) but there really isn't a lot of room to swim anyway, the pool really isn't that big. During the warm weather, people do "bathe" whether they're allowed to or not. There are a few little waterfalls that are nice to visit in that part of the gorge but they aren't spectacular or anything. Also you can walk a decent distance along the bottom of the gorge, it's nice on a hot day and different from visiting the area where Canajoharie Falls is.