Canajoharie Gorge - Montgomery County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for the info!
Rickhem
Rookie
Camera Model: IPhone 6s+

Took a drive out to Wintergreen Park this past weekend. Not sure if it was because of it being late in the season, but the park was closed. The gates were shut, but there were cars parked in the lot up by the ball field, so we parked there too. There is a sign there with a map of the area, but the plastic covering was broken, and the map was practically unreadable because of being weathered. We did figure out where the trail was that was referred to as the "Loop Trail", although it is really just out to the overlook deck and back, not really a loop. It's a nice walk along the eastern rim of the gorge, but with little to no view of the water below until you get to the viewing platform.
Here is what you can see from the platform:

After seeing others walking down into the park, we walked down there too. It's a nice little park, swings, tables, bathrooms, and probably well used in the summer. There are dozens and dozens of NO TRESPASSING signs along with just as many NO SWIMMING signs. I guess they don't want anyone in or even near the water anymore. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of the park if you ask me.

Oh well, I guess that's progress.
RichieC
Rookie

5/28/18 On the way to Howe Caverns, my family and I took a detour to see the boiling pot pothole formation in Canajoharie NY. It was a nice little stop off. Go to the end of Floral Street - I believe you can Google map the address as 42 Floral Street.

Space up top for parking, and 3 picnic tables to stop for lunch. There is a small trail on the right leading down to the creek and the pothole and presumably several others like it, are right there. Worth a good half hour stop to look around and walk.

By the way, I read online that swimming is not allowed and that one might even get arrested! Not sure how accurate that is, but one of the local police in the area did drive in there - so my guess is that they either patrol there regularly or were tipped off that we and others were in the area. So, I suppose it is worth erring on the side of caution and not swimming there.

Unfortunately, Canajoharie falls are in a different area as noted above. Somehow, we missed it - we saw a sign for Wintergreen Park and then that was it. Didn't see where to find the park, so we had to skip the falls in order to get to Howe caverns. Can anyone clarify how to find Wintergreen Park? It wasn't clear to me.

Additionally, anyone know if you are allowed to walk the creek from the pothole to the falls?