Secret Caverns - 100ft Underground Waterfall

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

We all know Howe Caverns, but the smaller neighbor, Secret Caverns features a 100ft waterfall underground.

Untitled by bloodredrapture, on Flickr

undergroundwaterfall by vglinskiy, on Flickr

100 Foot Underground Waterfall by Nick Benson Photography, on Flickr

Secret Caverns' lodge is located 35 miles west of Albany, NY, between U.S. route 20 and route 7.
http://www.secretcaverns.com/
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Great photo Matt! All my photos looked like little orbs (the mist from the falls) floating about. Secret Caverns while small is definitely worth the visit if you already in the area.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
Matt
President
President

not my photos... just pulled them off of flickr.
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

I've been there several times, but without a camera. If you get in a small enough group, they would probably let you set up a tripod. Last time I was there was during a torrential rain, and they let us go down, with the caveat that our feet would probably get wet, and they did. The floor of the cavern was a running stream the entire tour and the waterfall was gushing, we got soaked from it. The little room the waterfall is in was under about 4 inches of water. Pretty fun though.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

L_G_D wrote:I've been there several times, but without a camera. If you get in a small enough group, they would probably let you set up a tripod. Last time I was there was during a torrential rain, and they let us go down, with the caveat that our feet would probably get wet, and they did. The floor of the cavern was a running stream the entire tour and the waterfall was gushing, we got soaked from it. The little room the waterfall is in was under about 4 inches of water. Pretty fun though.
Ditto.

Oops didn't even notice those weren't yours...lol.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
NickBenson
Rookie
Camera Model: Currently: Nikon D7000

Wow, i'm surprised to have found my photo up on here. Thanks for giving credit Matt, there are far too many people who do not.

As to the photo, I used a monopod, and I can tell you, even using a tripod... you're not going to get the shot you want. It is way too dark to not hold the shutter open for a long period of time, unless you raise the ISO - like I had to. If you hold the shutter open for more than a second, you're going to get water all over your lens. I don't know if you noticed but If you would like to learn more...click the photo. I talk about the method i used to capture it on Flickr.

If anyone has any questions on conditions and shooting down there i'd be glad to help out by answering them.
Matt
President
President

No problem. Excellent photos you took. Do you photograph waterfalls and nature regularly?
Do you think the operators would be okay with dragging a tripod down there?

About how long of an exposure is needed?
I am ok with 3-5 second exposure if I'm downsizing for the web.
SctSnyder

I have heard it whispered that this waterfall is actually a recirculating pump. (It is a little suspicious that they don't point any lighting further up the shaft.) Can anyone confirm or refute?

Secret Caverns is kind of a third-rate natural attraction but it's a hell of a tourist trap — well worth a visit.