Fillmore Glen State Park - Cayuga County

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Fillmore Glen State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
63%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
38%

Total votes: 16
HaloGirl
Veteran Board Expert
Veteran Board Expert
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX10 IS & Applie iPhone

Nice shot, Winnie!
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Winnie, Excellent angle on that one. Good B/W conversion too.
Winnie
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D3100 & Canon A4000 IS

Thanks Matt & Halogirl. I finally got out for a few hours :up:
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

The LAST falls in the park....
Finally got there, it requires quite the climb/scramble to get to (technically, the trail to them is closed because of a landslide 5 years ago or so)...

It's unfortunate, because the last falls by far are the nicest
spec
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon Rebel T1i / Samsung S730

Great shots!! I got there earlier this summer but the lack of water made for crap pictures. I didn't think that the trek from the trail's end to those falls was too bad. There were a few spots where going in the creek was not gonna happen because of downed trees etc, but otherwise it seemed a decent creekwalk. The thing that got me that day was the heat, and being little water in the glen, there wasn't much relief.

Did you go up these last falls at all? If you go up on the right hand side to the first "ledge" in the falls, there's a really really cool little notch in the rocks to the right that offers a nice secluded "cove" where you can sit and chill for a bit. I definitely want to get back here in the spring.
-----
spec
bremer
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 230

Agreed! Definitely my favorite area of the park and you can always have it to yourself. If you arent up for the 4/5 mile hike the upper parking lot is right above these falls. The dam just upstream also creates a pretty interesting looking fall with water flowing in opposite directions.

By comparison there were 5 tripods (including myself) set up at the lower falls the last time I visited...

but at the same time the guy down below gave me a shooting location I'd never thought before to try later once everyone cleared out...

"Now I see the Secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth" - W. Whitman
Roots Photography
champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

nice shots...I'll have to process some HDR of the upper falls as it was so dark, and the falls were flowing pretty good so I def. got some 'blow-outs' on the water. I did the hike from below to the top, but I didn't have time to get above the falls as it was getting dark. I'll try the upper parking lot next time, although the fall foliage is just about done...

Are you using Photomatix for your HDR? and do you process from a single RAW or do you change aperture when you bracket?
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

Wow! Had no idea there was more beyond that trail closed sign...figured it petered out.

Definately will have to head back there next year.

Love your second shot bremer!
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook