Watkins Glen State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Watkins Glen State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
7%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
93%

Total votes: 27
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

The June issue of Conservationist has an article (and cover shot) on Watkins Glen. The photos are kind of amaturish though.
Rick

How are the people at Watkins Glen about letting you roam off the path?

On a scale of 1 to 5 with LetchWorth being a 1 and Stony Brook being a 5?

I was Letchworth and almost got arrested but Stony Brook was a free-for-all, which I loved!

Thanks!
Matt
President
President

Once you get to the end of the gorge trail you can creek walk, but there's nothing but small drops... In the good section of the gorge, there's no way you'd be able to get far off the trail, the creek bed is steep and sometimes so narrow it's impassible. You'de probably get killed trying to get far. The path does allow for some goot shots though.

If you want to creek walk, try one of the gullies not in a state park or... Cascadilla falls.
Rick

mconheady wrote:If you want to creek walk, try one of the gullies not in a state park or... Cascadilla falls.
Excellent tip, thanks!
Matt
President
President

Spitzer has proposed $300,000 in the budget for reconditioning of this park this year.
Matt
President
President

We went here on Monday. Several sections fo the trail were rebuilt (or in being finished-up). Looks like the winter destroyed a lot of it. The sections they rebuilt looked very nicely done.
skiboarder72
Guide
Guide
Camera Model: Nikon D300, Nikon D50, 18-200mm VR, 11-16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, SB-600

Matt wrote:We went here on Monday. Several sections fo the trail were rebuilt (or in being finished-up). Looks like the winter destroyed a lot of it. The sections they rebuilt looked very nicely done.
Get any good shots? I put a few up from a couple years ago when I went
Matt
President
President

I may have... I didn't look. I took a few.. I covered it extensively last october and I have yet to process shots from that run. I know I have some masterpieces in there- I just need the time to output some files.
I was wondering if I should submit a Watkins Glen shot to Capture Rochester. I have one or two that would probably be received well, but I don't know if it's Rochester enough.