Watkins Glen State Park

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

Rate Watkins Glen State Park

1 - Ugly, Not worth the trip
No votes
2 - Could be better
No votes
3 - OK, See it if you are in the area
No votes
4 - Beautiful, worth the trip
7%
5 - Must see, worth revisiting
93%

Total votes: 27
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

You can see Sentry Falls from the parking lot. The next major falls is just around the bend. I drag people there all the time and no one has ever regretted going in.
Just be sure to pee before you hike- there are no restrooms along the trail and it can be a long hike for some.
Try to get there before 10 am otherwise the sun can screw your shooting.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide
Camera Model: Canon 7D

Hmmmm.... before 10 a.m. might be possible. Depending. However, I would have to plan.

Does anyone know how far Watkins Glen State Park is from Sampson State Park? I am likely going to a geocaching event there that day and if it's not too far of a haul, I might be able to get myself to Watkins Glen real early to do some shooting.

However, I'd have to be at Sampson by about 9:30-10 a.m.

Personally, I'd rather do the Watkins Glen falls at about 7:30- 8 a.m. That way you can have it be peaceful and still do what you need to do before all the people get there. And then I can still have a full day ahead!

Any falls in Sampson, too?
My photo blog: P.J.'s look at the world
My regular blog: A 'lil HooHaa
My flickr: HooHaa Photos

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

The falls that I really want to shoot, for time-wise thoughts (if you could tell me how far of a haul this is), I saw on your photos that you are selling, Matt.

It's this shot and area: http://nyfalls.exposuremanager.com/p/wa ... -preview16

"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast, you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

<chirp> <chirp> hehehe.

Anyone on the distance of a hike from the photo of Matt's that I linked the the last post?? :)

Matt
President
President

rainbow falls is about half way in. I'm not sure how far- maybe a half hour if you hurry things up. I would say about an hour if you take your time.
hoohaa
Senior Guide
Senior Guide

Thanks, Matt. So that's an hour hike just to the rainbow falls? Or hour roundtrip with the stop to take a bunch of shots?

Is there a trail map anywhere online for Watkins Glen, does anyone know? I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but those state sites aren't too great. Thanks for any more help.

Brenda
VIP II
VIP II
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

I'd say that Rainbow Falls is about 3/4 of a mile in. There is a map at the entrance to the gorge. I couldn't find one online either, well at least not one that I was willing to link to. ;)
Finger Lakes Mill Creek Cabins
http://www.fingerlakescabins.com
Matt
President
President

there's a map somewhere in this thread, but no scale.
It's a ways in, with lots of climbing and tons of distractions. And this isn't a trail you can run through.
So the bottom line is, if you don't set aside at least and hour, you won't see Rainbow Falls. then you have to walk back.

I have a map ssomewhere. I'll scan it and get it up but it too does not have a scale.