OK Slip Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

According to the Adirondack Explorer (news issue out) The governor signed the paperwork in April to purchase property previously owned by the Finch paper company. Which includes OK Slip Falls, it is open to the public as of the signing but the DEC doesn’t want a ton of people hiking to the falls until they get a trail made hence they’ve been keeping it quite.

Read the article here

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stori ... en-wonders
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Wonderful news!
L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

Interesting. I had thought of swinging by there over my vacation last week, but it was so hot, humid and rainy, I didn't get a chance. But, from what that's saying, they can't throw you out if yo do go, so next time I'm up there, I will make an effort to get in there.
LGD
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

I misunderstood. I thought the falls fell directly into the Hudson, there appears to be a small gorge as it travels down to the river. I'd also be very interested in taking in that view of the river with the Blue Ledges in the foreground.
Attachments
Doc1.jpg
Doc1.jpg (313.66 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
backpacker
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Nikon D90, D40x, Lenses Nikor 12-24, 18-105 vr, 18-135, 70-300 vr, sigma 150-5oo os

I'm in if anybodys heading that way and I'm free!!
The Mountains are Calling and I must Go John Muir
my flickr gallery
46er interview
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

If there is a way to get up to the falls from below, I'm in.
Looks like a vantage point from below with the small cascades in the foreground would make a nice scene.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

L_G_D
Board Expert
Board Expert
Camera Model: Sony Alpha 700

There should be a way to get to the bottom of the falls, as I met several people from Northern Frontier at the mouth of the stream on the Hudson when we hiked in that way. They told us to go away, but if they got down there, then there's a way to get there from the top, as they didn't boat in, that's for sure. They must have trails down from their camp, and from what I gather, all that area is now state land, they only retained the area right around the camp itself, so it should be possible to walk in the road, to somewhere near the camp, then down one of the trails to the Hudson, then up the stream. I've heard, though, that's where all the rare plants and sensitive habitats are, and a lot of people walking up the stream is what concerns some people about damage to the area.
LGD