Delphi Falls

A place to discuss waterfalls. Including the parks that house them and the hikes to get to them.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

champy1013
Lead Contributer
Lead Contributer
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

nice - what a stunning waterfall - too bad they are off limits. there's actually two of them in there....
hobkyl
Camera Model: Pentax K30

What ever happened to tennant? I was looking across the waterfall map in search of falls that dont have pages and came across these. Going to try to find the owners.
“There’s an inconsequentiality to our lives that living in the wilderness shows up. Mountain are real, they set their limits, they set ours. They expose us, make us vulnerable and strong at the same time. “
--Alison Wat

Flickr Facebook
wrenchmonkey
Rookie

lucky to get a tour. I went here a lot when I was young and was still family. Wonder who gave the tour. I'll have to dig up my photo from long ago of the upper falls.

[edit] found my old photo, gotta love print film, can't lose it to a dead hard drive. scanning and posting soon, but the awesome pics above show it just fine.
bobross
Rookie

I was lucky enough to see the falls too.

I used to sell windows and I had an appointment at the house where the falls are located. It's owned by a nice elderly lady who's "mean husband" had recently passed away (this was in 2009 I believe).

I heard this loud sound coming from the back of the house and inquired about it, she took me back and there I saw these gigantic falls right in her backyard. On goodle maps it looks like it's far away but in real life it's very very close to the house, which was awesome.

She said there used to be a dance hall there a long time ago and people used to pay 10 cents to have a picnic and see the falls. Then her husband bought it and it's remain private ever since. They hadn't let any strangers back there at all.

I did some searching and found these pictures, posted by her family.

[img2]http://home.comcast.net/~dglederman/TheFalls.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://home.comcast.net/~dglederman/BifLonaJimJr.jpg[/img2]
Last edited by Kelly on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reduced image display size
bobross
Rookie

sorry the images are so big, if you right click and select "open image in new tab" you'll see them in full view where you can see the lower falls clearly. It was amazing seeing them in real life!
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

bobross wrote:sorry the images are so big, if you right click and select "open image in new tab" you'll see them in full view where you can see the lower falls clearly. It was amazing seeing them in real life!
No worrries. It's all good now. The Img2 tag is one way to present them here in a smaller preview size - and they're then clickable for the larger version.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing these!
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
Harold
Rookie

Hello, I am a new member. First of all, I want to inform everyone that I have provided the funding for CNY Land Trust to acquire about 80 acres of Three Falls Woods in the Town of Manlius, Onondaga County (it is listed on this website). The closing should happen this week or next. For further information, you can contact the land trust. What is being acquired is the best part, and includes all three waterfalls. I have also made it possible for the land trust to add nearly 40 acres to their 7 or so-acre property named Brickyard Falls View (also in the Town of Manlius,Onondaga County). It doesn't make seeing the falls any easier, but it is a beautiful site. This will probably be closing at the same time.

Mainly, I write to let you know that I have a contract to purchase Delphi Falls in Madison County, to donate it to the county. The county has agreed to accept it and make it their premier county park. I am providing most of the funds, the county is adding what they can, but we are $150,000 short. Today I set up a GoFundMe account (go to their web page and then search for Delphi Falls, NY). I am not involved in social media (no Facebook or Twitter account), so I need to rely on interested parties like you to get the word out. We have less than six weeks to raise the money before my contract expires. I hope you can help, by donating or spreading the news. The property has been in private hands for about 80 years. The two waterfalls are spectacular. I would love to see it become available to the public in perpetuity. If this doesn't work out, the property may well return to private hands for many more years. I appreciate whatever you can do to help.
Last edited by Kelly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged with existing topic
tennant
Rookie

What wonderful news Harold! My parents (who live in New Woodstock) just sent me the article that appeared in the Cazenovia Republican (January 10, 2018) with the news. Thank you for your generosity. I had a chance to meet Mrs. Allen several years ago. The property is an absolute jewel. It's going to be hard to wait the few years it is expected to transform this into an accessible park.