Sunflower fields of Lopburi

Share and discuss your travelling experiences and pics from around the world. Photo journals encouraged.

Moderators: Brenda, Kelly

macnmotion
Senior
Senior
Camera Model: Canon 5D2

My wife Pia and I left Bangkok at 4:25AM to reach the province of Lopburi by sunrise and although it was cloudy the light was ok. Lopburi is known for commercial sunflower fields which bloom from November through February during the dry season. I have been wanting to visit this for several years and finally got the chance. I researched sunflower field photography but even still I found it very difficult to compose images. I saw them but execution didn't always turn out as expected.

After the fields we visited a local temple which is home to hundreds of peacocks.

Here is my Flickr gallery from this morning:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/macnmotio ... 211686027/

Andy
Kelly
Editor
Editor
Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, EOS 7D Mi & ii, Rebel t3i, Canon M50

WOW!! Each and every one is stunning. Your wife is beautiful. So glad you shared these! Did you use a step ladder at all? I've been wanting to experiment with one in a sunflower field.
I am strong, because I've been weak.
I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
I am wise, because I've been foolish.

- Unknown

My NYFalls.com Team Page
Scenes from a Public Market
New York Historic
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Hi Kelly. No ladder, it never even occurred to me. But based on the angles of the flowers which are heavy enough to pull the top of the stalk down I think that shooting from above would miss some of the character of the flowers' "faces." I did have a big tripod with me and started with that first but I didn't like any of those photos. All the ones in my gallery are hand held. I shot some hand held raising my hands up high but even those I didn't like!

The wide angle shots were shot with a 16-35mm. The portraits and flower close ups were shot with a 70-200mm.
Des219
Senior Guide II
Senior Guide II
Camera Model: Canon 6D

I enjoyed your photos. My two favorites are the picture of your wife looking to the right and the other is the picture of the tree, mountains, and the flowers.
macnmotion
Senior
Senior

Thanks. I love that one of my wife :-)
Matt
President
President
Camera Model: Olympus OMD EM-1 m1, m2; Panasonic GM5, Osmo Pocket

Thanks for sharing! I love those wide shots with the mountains in the background!